Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Another 416 Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Another 416 Project

    I want to build cabinets for a 416/399/805 configuration. I would like to cross at 800HZ. I read in other threads the 399 may be too much for a single 416. I can consider a double 416 config but If I do I would like to place them vertically. I can't seem to find a set up like this anywhere though.

    Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another 416 Project

    At 110dB w/m, the 399 would need five 416s (97dB) per side to ~solve that problem acoustically, assuming no horn loading for the 416s. With a single, you'll need to attenuate the 399 ~13dB, which is easily done in an XO. Giving up sensitivity means giving up headroom though, so it's the old "which compromise suits me best' dilemna.

    Since your project closely parallels AB's thread, it may not (or may) get much play until the dust has settled there...

    Added:
    You might want to dig up member Stephane Rame's (hope I spelled that right) 399/416 project in the meantime.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Another 416 Project

    Stephanes' thread documenting his adventures in using a single GPA 515 matched up to a GPA 399 is here ( over at LHF ) ! .

    ( I can't seem to locate his Hostboard contributions .)

    Ah ,,, here he is ( stéphane Rame ) .

    <> cheers

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another 416 Project

    I was thinking of a similar design, but with the 399 mounted on top A7 style using a 805 wooden horn.

    So is the 399 too much for the 416?

    I hope not. Much invested in components...

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Another 416 Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin

    So is the 399 too much for the 416?

    I hope not. Much invested in components...
    - IME, one would only hear a mismatch ( in the dynamics ) if you biamped and didn't add any resistive padding onto the horn driver . This sort of setup will sound "over-articulated" ( for HiFi ) no matter how you balance the actual driver to woofer volumes ( it would be fine for SR work ).

    - IOW, if you can go passive ( and therefore use a passive pad for balancing the horn volume ) the end result ought to sound pretty balanced ( dynamically ) .

    - You could also biamp as long as you "dumb-down" the dynamics of the horn diver with an appropriate resistive pad ( to first balance out the two components different sensitivities ) .

    - The amount of padding necessary to add onto the horn driver is determined by the sensitivity of the woofer ( as bfish said ) .


    cheers


    PS; ( FWIW ) apparently it's not a generally accepted principal that resistive padding will lower the dynamics of a driver . Therefore you'll simply need to try out this approach to see if it helps give you a more homogeneous end-result .

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Another 416 Project

    I don't understand the "Too Much" concept expressed here or in other threads.

    You gotta turn down the horn no matter what. That's just how it works. Unless you are using 5 or 6 woofers, as noted above.

    So your are either attenuating thru an L-Pad, series resistor, gain control in an active set-up or a combo of the above. The horn will always receive a lower voltage than the woofer so that the levels match. The reduction of voltage (and thus power) going to the horn is part & parcel of any system. That's 1/2 of what a crossover does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.